Tuesday, March 10, 2009

25 weeks - last week's glucose test + 24w check-up

OK, I'm exactly a week too late with this post, but I'm finally feeling better (although still coughing) to do a decent update.

Last week Tuesday, while sick with the flu, I had to go to the lab at 9 am for my glucose test (+ a number of other blood and urine tests), on an empty stomach. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better if I'd have just postponed it, but oh, well, I went anyway... feeling quite miserable.
I don't know how they do it in the US or in other countries, but here in France you have to go to the lab, get your blood drawn, drink the yucky super sweet stuff, and then stay at the lab for two hours before they do the final blood draw and you're allowed to go home again.

As everyone who's ever had a glucose test knows, it's horrible. I got the choice between 'a little bit, but very sweet' or 'not so sweet, but a bit more'. I chose the latter: two plastic cups were both half filled with glucose powder and then mixed with water. It was still disgustingly sweet, but I got it down. Then they moved me to another room where I had to sit/hang out the two hours (luckily not in the general waiting room, as I had imagined). I tried to sleep a bit, but that didn't really work. After about an hour the lab technician came to check on me, to see if I didn't have to urge to throw up. That wasn't the case, but I did feel pretty lousy and had developed a nice headache. Finally after the two hours were over another lab technician came in to do the final blood draw. I was in a bit of a daze and was feeling very hot. She was super sweet. I could finally go home. Got a croissant at the bakery downstairs (in a nice coughing fit) and went home to eat and sleep a bit before my 24-week checkup at 2 pm.

While in the OB's waiting room I almost fell asleep two times... She was also very nice and understanding. I was still in a bit of a daze, so forgot to take of my undies for the exam (...). Baby was clearly trying to hide every time I coughed. His HB was 155. My BP was 110/60 and I had gained a healthy 3 kg since last month's appointment. Cervix had softened a bit (probably due to me being sick), but still long and closed.

I asked her if she would have anything against us going by car to Holland for Easter (as she had mentioned something about long drives last month) and she cleary did, so we decided to abandon that plan (my mom will now probably come to us that weekend).

As for the birthing classes, we didn't talk extensively about it, but one of her recommendations was a midwife not too far from me who was already on my list, so I called her later in the week and made an appointment for April 14 (first of eight). Also got a form to fill out and bring to the consult witht the anesthesiologist on May 19. Next check-up is on April 2.

1 comment:

iambrowneyedgirl said...

Sorry that you had the flu, but I'm happy that your check-up went well!