Friday, January 25, 2013

Winter Shed: Week Three




This is the third Winter Shed week hosted by Kathy at Bereaved and Blessed and my second post on it. The full back story can be found here.

Thank you to those who commented on my first Winter Shed post and told me to take it easy! I want to clarify my goals a little bit - they are my goals for this coming year. I know I can't do them all in one week! But I'll still list them to see if I made any progress, even if it's minimal. 

Now to report on how I did during week three:

1. Read more novels.
I decided to continue reading the French novel that has been on my bedside table for months and I actually read one chapter this week.

2. Follow the news more.
It was not a good week for following the news for me. Too busy preparing and celebrating the baby's first birthday, welcoming my dad, and trying to tame the two boys who have found a new routine: party  instead of sleep (the little one wakes up - or is still awake - when I put his big brother to bed. When I'm lucky they give up after half an hour and fall (back) asleep. Last night the baby was still babbling at 11 pm...)

3. Pick up regular blogging again and start a series/hop on Cultural Differences.
Still going strong with blogging and I like it! The Cultural Differences series hasn't advanced though, I hope to get it started in February.

4. Get my professional website up and running.
No progress here, but good news under #5!

5. Find more clients / pursue more paid projects.
I haven't heard back on the quote yet (but not too sad, it would bring in money but the project itself is not very appealing). The other client I contacted has no immediate projects but was happy to know I was available again and I got a call from a client I did two small projects for last year with a request for a big project for the coming six to eight weeks! Yay! So my number one priority this week was to get myself more work time, which includes asking the (pre)school to give our son at least one extra day a week at the school restaurant. I now have to pick him up twice a week for the two-hour lunch break and that means I just can't get anything serious done on those days. If I get a negative response another mother has already offered to help out by taking our son home for lunch a few times. I also have set up an appointment with a center that organizes day camps during the upcoming two-week school holidays at the end of February, which fall smack in the middle of this project. As a backup the sitter who takes care of our youngest four days a week has offered she can take the older one as well during the holidays, as one of the other kids is going on vacation. So I think I'm more or less covered and confidently told the client they don't have to look for a second person to help with the project! 

6. Start playing the cello again.
I have decided (also thanks to the comments I received last week) that I need to put this off a little longer. There's just no room in my head for this right now.



3 comments:

Valery said...

Congratulations on getting the call!
Sounds like real good news and you are already up to speeds with getting things organised.
Good luck.

groetjes,
V

Kathy said...

Way to go on your week three progress! It is so fun and interesting to be doing the Winter Shed with Kimberly and you. Good for you reading a chapter in your book, blogging more and especially #5! That is exciting and it looks like you have really thought through how to be able to do the project for your client! Hope you have a great week and I will see you next Friday, if not before! :)

Fran said...

Lot's of progress this week! Good for you!! I can't believe a week had passed already...