Monday, October 13, 2014

#MicroblogMondays: mussels

Yesterday we had mussels for dinner. Or at least, hubby and Mr Sensible did. Mr Gourmand and me don't like mussels. For Mr. Gourmand it might just be his "I am 2 and I don't like anything besides junk food", for me it's psychological. I don't think I ever really tried, I just can't bring myself to eat them. So I had thawed some salmon from the freezer for myself, and Mr Gourmand would have his beloved fish sticks. When it was time to cook it turned out the salmon was looking and smelling a bit funny, so I threw it out. Having no alternative, I put some more fish sticks in the pan...
However when we all sat down for dinner the fish sticks didn't look and smell appealing to me at all. So I started on the carrots and the fries. Hubby asked if I really didn't want to try a mussel (with my eyes closed if needed). Oh well, ok then. I tried, it wasn't bad at all (don't I sound really French here? C'est pas mal... the most positive reaction you can get). I'm not a big fan, but I ate at least ten (eyes open). Never too old to discover new tastes (and I hope it won't take that long before Mr Gourmand decides to try out some fruit and veggies - otherwise I'll have to come up with a new nickname for him)!

#MicroblogMondays is another great idea from Mel at Stirrup Queens. Join in!

8 comments:

Mina said...

Chez Léon in Bruxelles is probably one of the best mussle restaurant in Europe. I still dream of their moules et frites... The main reason we want to go visit Belgium again. :-)

Anonymous said...

My husband loves mussels and thought one of the great things when we moved to Amsterdam was easy access to fresh, cheap ones (neither of those are possible in the mid-west US!). I'd always been against them in principle: I don't like sproing. But he made them, I tried them, and now, so long as I don't think too much about what they are (and avoid any that have sand in them), they're actually rather enjoyable.

Valery said...

ohhh, mussels... the only ones I really loved were the big New Zealand ones, in Picton or Nelson on the South Island. Served with tomato sauce and grilled with cheese... (I'd probably eat anything served that way, but never mind)

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Ooooh, mussels. I don't eat animals so I've never had them, but I am so curious about them. I've picked them up from the ocean. And I like watching others eat them. Is that odd?

Mali said...

Mussels. Yum! And Valery said it - the New Zealand greenshell (or green-lipped) mussels are really yummy. (Though I've never had them served with tomato sauce and grilled with cheese - but I might try that now).
And they're huge - I'm always amused at the dozens of tiny mussels you get served elsewhere.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Oddly, both my kids are mussels fans. Makes it expensive to go out to eat because do they order the $3.50 chicken nuggets? No. They want the $13.95 mussel appetizer. Each.

areyoukiddingme said...

I have never eaten them, but I haven't been a fan of seafood until recently. Maybe I'll give 'em a try after your ringing endorsement! Pas mal, indeed... ;)

Anonymous said...

I love mussels, I didn't always but I love them now. Can't remember the last time I made them though. They're more of a treat now. I like them with a Thai curry.