Monday, March 26, 2012

Perfect Moment Monday - bedtime


Evenings in our household have become quite a challenge lately as our toddler has decided it is the best moment to get some alone time with mommy and daddy. Usually around dinner time the baby's witching hour will start. So often I nurse while eating (and trying not to spill anything on him) and urging our toddler to eat something too - which if it's not lasagna, risotto, sausages or french fries is more or less impossible. Then when dinner is done, it's time to prepare the toddler for bed (while the baby is still/again screaming). Hubby (when he's not away for business) usually takes charge of getting him into his PJs, brushing his teeth etc. but I have to do story time. At that point he will have told us at least five times already that he doesn't want to go to bed - "Je veux pas dormir mamam" has become his new mantra.

Once we've read one or two stories, I have to sing him a song, at least twice. Then he wants me to remain seated on the sofa next to his bed. When I get up after five minutes and leave the room, he will either start crying or get out of bed too. This is repeated several times… (and I've tried different techniques and they don't make much difference, the only thing is that if I get angry, he just laughs at me) and usually it takes an hour before he finally goes to sleep [I assume this is just a phase and is all due to the arrival of the baby, before that the toddler's bedtime routine was very easy].

Then I have to put the baby to bed, which compared to the routine described  above, is quite simple - change diaper, put him in PJs (usually that's already done), nurse, burp, swaddle, put him down in co-sleeper.

One day last week I was dead tired, had lost patience a few times with the toddler, before he had finally given in and went to sleep, and I was craving a little me-time before I would crash and go to sleep myself. The baby, whom I'd put down already, was crying, so I went to our bedroom to give him back his pacifier. I wanted to leave the room again, but he spit the paci out, looked at me (the way only babies can) and started 'talking'. It was just the two of us, the craziness of the previous hours gone and he completely calmed me down. After a few minutes he just closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Despite my fatigue I went to bed smiling that evening. It was my Perfect Moment.

--------------------------------------

On the 4th Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between. What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit Write Mind Open Heart and share your comment love. The next Perfect Moment Monday event will be on April 23.



8 comments:

PreshusMe said...

I'm so sorry that you're having a hard time with your toddler bedtime routine. Things will hopefully settle down for you soon. I know ALL about difficult bedtimes with toddlers. Hope you and the new little one are doing well!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

What a sweet moment with your baby. He just wanted a connection with you, and when he got it you were both happy.

It likely is just a phase with your toddler. But for now, I know that it can be downright hard when you feel there's not enough of you to go around.

P.S. Your dinners sound delicious.

jjiraffe said...

What a lovely moment with your baby! I swear, they know when they need to bring out their adorable qualities :)

St Elsewhere said...

How awesome are those moments, really!

I think the elder kid is just going through a phase...and like you pointed out, maybe it's because of the baby's presence now...but it will get better.

You are definitely multi-tasking, lady!

xo

Tami said...

It's those little moments that make you remember why you wanted to do this so much! :) Cherish every one.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

What a sweet, sweet moment you had with just you and the babe.

So glad you were able to enjoy it.

DandelionBreeze said...

What a truly perfect moment... must have melted your heart :) xoxo

Elizabeth :: Bébé Suisse said...

What a lovely perfect moment!

I was happy to stumble across your blog earlier today - I'm another expat, originally English and now in Switzerland after a long while in the US. It's FIV here too (of course - same language!).